Doctors and Malpractice: Understanding Never Events
In the medical world, there are a few things that should never happen, but if they do, they can cause significant injuries to anyone impacted by them. These are medical malpractice issues called never events, and they range in just how severe they can be.
Here are the never events in the realm of medical malpractice cases:
- Surgical errors: Surgical errors are those that stem from actions in the operating room and typically include performing surgery on the wrong part of the body, performing surgery on an incorrect patient, or leaving a foreign object inside of the patient’s body following surgery.
- Environmental dangers: This can include dangers posed by electrical shock, potential for burn injuries, oxygen lines with incorrect gases, or restraints used on the patient that cause fatal or serious injuries.
- Patient protection endangerment: Most often, these are situations in which a patient is discharged into the care of someone who is not properly authorized to care for them. In other cases, it may exist if the patient disappears from the hospital and is subsequently hurt.
- Product errors: Whether through contaminated medical devices or instruments, or through dangerous drugs, when a product is misused, it can result in serious injury or death. This is considered a never event.
- Radiological errors: In this situation, negligence may lead to a metal object being introduced into an MRI room where the reaction can cause serious dangers to the patient.
When a never event does occur, it’s important to recognize which parties may be considered negligent and the ways in which you may be able to take legal action. Never events often result in serious injuries or even death, in which case the family of the decedent may be able to file a lawsuit on their loved one’s behalf.
At Brown & Barron, we know how difficult it can be to endure the damages sustained as a result of medical negligence. We work hard to put your needs and best interests first, working to help you seek the most favorable result possible.
Our Baltimore medical malpractice lawyers recognize the serious nature of never events and we believe that if they happen, the negligent party should be held accountable for their actions. We’re ready to stand in your corner and protect your rights every step of the way.
Contact us today at (410) 698-1717 for more information about your potential case.