Baltimore Abuse by Nursing Home Staff Attorney
Nursing home staff members must provide high-quality care to residents. However, there are many cases where these individuals intentionally abuse or neglect residents, resulting in emotional distress, serious injuries, and even death.
If your loved one has been abused by nursing home staff, our Baltimore nursing home abuse lawyers at Brown & Barron can help you recover financial compensation on behalf of your family member. Not only do we want to seek justice for your loved one, but we also want to ensure this type of abuse and negligence doesn’t happen in the future to anyone else.
You Could Recover Damages in a Nursing Home Abuse Case
If you or a loved one was abused or neglected in a nursing home, you could receive compensation. To receive compensation, you must prove the abuse occurred. Our attorneys will investigate the situation thoroughly to prove that facility staff members were abusive or neglectful to your relative. Damages you could recover include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Costs of any medical treatment associated with your loved one’s injuries
Get in touch with a abuse by staff lawyer serving Baltimore, (410) 698-1717 for a free case evaluation.
Causes of Nursing Home Abuse
Not all nursing homes offer the same standard of care. While some have the resources to properly care for their residents, others lack adequate care and oversight. For example, nursing home understaffing is considered one of the most common factors in nursing home abuse and neglect. Overwhelmed staff members are more likely to take their anger out and abuse their patients. The lack of adequate staffing to meet the needs of the residents is known to lead to neglect, creating a miserable and dangerous environment for the elderly.
Common types of abuse nursing home residents can experience include:
- Physical abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Verbal abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Financial exploitation
Unfortunately, residents are reluctant to report incidents of nursing home abuse, most likely because they are afraid the staff members may retaliate and cause more harm. It is up to family members and friends to see the signs and take action to protect their loved ones.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
The warning signs for nursing home neglect or abuse can vary based on the person and their situation. While there are common warning signs, it is important to know the signs of nursing home abuse and neglect may not be what you would typically think. According to the National Institute on Aging, it is critical to look at these common warning signs:
- Physical abuse: Look for sudden injuries that cannot be explained. This includes any burns, bruises, and broken or fractured bones.
- Emotional abuse: This can include any signs that your loved one’s behavior has changed. You may notice they are less talkative, or they may withdraw from others and stop attending social activities. When you visit them, it is important to look out for if their caregivers are verbally aggressive or demeaning. If your relative acts differently when they are around a particular staff member, you may want to ask them why, as this could indicate a problem.
- Sexual abuse: Signs of sexual abuse include if they have any bruising or swelling in their genital area or a sudden and unexplained sexually transmitted disease.
- Neglect: If your loved one’s clothing and bedding has been soiled, they have a lack of food, there is an appearance of bedsores, or there is evidence their medication has not been administered, they could be suffering from neglect.
- Financial exploitation: Warning signs of elder financial abuse include if your loved one can’t explain financial transactions, has given their caregiver financial control, or they have unpaid bills.
If you suspect any type of nursing home abuse and neglect, our Baltimore abuse by nursing home staff attorney can fight for your right to receive compensation.
Brown & Barron Will Advocate for Your Loved One
At Brown & Barron, we want our clients and their families to receive justice after being abused and neglected by staff members at a nursing home. Our attorneys have been representing our Baltimore area clients for decades. We believe that people who are hurt through nursing home abuse should be compensated for the harm they suffered. Filing a claim or lawsuit can be a stressful process, but we work hard to make it as comfortable as possible.
If you choose Brown & Barron to advocate for you, you can expect the following:
- A free consultation. During the consultation, we will explain what we do and answer any of your questions.
- Accessible and responsive communication. A staff member is available 24/7, and your questions will be answered promptly.
- Dedicated attorneys who care about the work they do and their clients.
Our attorneys will pursue your rights. We want to relieve any worry you have with filing a claim.
Contact Brown & Barron online today to schedule a free case review with a with a abuse by staff lawyer serving Baltimore.
We Are Ready to Fight for the Compensation & Justice Your Loved One Deserves
Nursing home staff members must provide quality care to their residents. When they do not follow the procedures and recognized protocol of standard care, the nursing homes must be held accountable. It is important that your loved one receives justice for their suffering and that others do not suffer the same neglect and abuse.
If you believe your family member has been abused, it is wise to remove your relative from the nursing home immediately. You should also get your family member evaluated to find out if he or she suffered any physical injuries or mental and emotional distress. Next, file a report with the local authorities.
Brown & Barron has the experience and resources to help you file a legal claim against the nursing home and abusive staff.
Hear From Our Clients
"Brown & Barron, LLC has to be one of the best law firms in the state of Maryland, possibly the entire country. The quality of their service is second to none. They go above and beyond to serve their clients and get the job done."Eric B.
"The best professional experience I have ever been a part of. I trusted them the entire way, and they exceeded all expectations."Darius L.
"Brown & Barron provided efficient, straight-up, and straightforward services in my medical malpractice case. They answered all my questions and kept me informed every step of the way."D.D.
"After a two-year process, my case is resolved. I would like to commend and highly recommend Mr. Chris Casciano for his diligence, attention to detail, and support for myself and my family."A.L.
"They definitely get the job done in will go above in beyond for the clients I appreciate all the hard work that they have done over the years."Ashley L.
Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (410) 698-1717.