What You Need to Know:
- Studies have shown that popular baby formula products, such as Enfamil & Similac, can cause a fatal disease in newborns called NEC.
- NEC (necrotizing enterocolitis) causes intestinal damage that can lead to serious health issues, including death.
- Baby formulas that contain cow milk are among the products that can cause NEC, particularly in premature or low-weight newborns.
- These cow-milk-based formulas are sometimes given by the staff in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) with or without your knowledge.
- If you suspect your baby was harmed due to using one of these products, you need to understand your rights and the rights of your child.
- When taking on major corporations, such as the manufacturers of baby formulas, or a hospital, you need a powerful law firm on your side to fight for your family. You would be wise to choose a law firm that specializes in birth injuries to ensure you get the justice and the financial compensation your baby and your family deserve. Brown & Barron is a law firm that specializes in cases involving injuries to children as well as cases involving defective products.
- For more information, call 410-547-0202 or click here. There are limits on how long you have to pursue your rights, so it is important not to delay.
For a free legal consultation, call 410-547-0202
The Facts Regarding NEC & Baby Formula
Two of the most popular baby formula products on the market can increase the risk of a life-threatening digestive disease in newborns, especially premature babies, according to a study by the National Institutes of Health. These products were shown to increase the likelihood of necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) by as much as 10 times, compared to babies given breast milk.
NEC is a dangerous gastrointestinal disease in which the intestines become infected and damaged, leading to infection and potentially death. NEC is one of the most common causes of infant death in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. The research indicates that the increased risk of NEC is specific to cow-milk-based baby formula products, which are among the most common on the market.
If your baby used cow-milk-based baby formulas, such as Enfamil and Similac, and suffered from a serious gastrointestinal issue, you should seek professional guidance to protect your rights and to ensure justice for your child. The increased risk of NEC associated these baby formulas has been known since at least 1990, and lawsuits have been brought against their manufacturers for the harm caused to children and for failing to warn parents.
Popular Baby Formulas That Contain Cow’s Milk
Perhaps 80% of the major brands of baby formula (as well as the generic/store brands) have a product that uses cow’s milk in the base, including:
- Baby’s Only
- Earth’s Best
- Go & Grow
- Happy Baby
- Parent’s Choice
Taking Action Against the Manufacturers or Hospitals
Corporations and hospitals have a duty to compensate victims when they make mistakes that result in injuries, but they also possess vast legal resources that can make it difficult to get straight answers, much less justice. If you suspect that your child was given formula that contains cow’s milk, resulting a digestive issue, you should consult a legal professional immediately. Even if you don’t personally give your child formula or cow-milk-based formulas, but your newborn had a serious digestive issue, it could be that the staff at the hospital or NICU could have given the child formula containing cow’s milk. It is important to consult a legal professional immediately because there are time limits on how long you have to exercise your rights (statutes of limitation).
When taking on major corporations, such as the manufacturers of baby formulas, or a hospital, you need a powerful law firm on your side to fight for your family. You would be wise to choose a law firm that specializes in birth injuries and has the expertise in medical lawsuits to ensure you get the justice and the financial compensation your baby and your family deserve. Brown & Barron is a law firm that specializes in cases that center on injuries to children, as well as cases involving defective products.
Learn about your rights. Our attorneys can help. For a free consultation call 410-547-0202 or click here.
Contact Brown & Barron online today to schedule a free case review.