Arbutus Nursing Home Bedsore Injury Lawyer
When you decide to place a loved one in a nursing home, you expect the people looking after them to provide the necessary care and the best medical attention possible. However, neglect and even abuse is not uncommon in nursing homes due to factors like understaffing and lack of training. The results of this can range from mental and emotional to physical harm, such as the development of bedsores.
If you have a family member in one of these facilities and they developed bedsores, it can lead to other serious medical problems. You have an opportunity to seek justice and compensation from those responsible. A nursing home bedsore injury lawyer from Brown & Barron can help you gather the necessary evidence and build a case for all the damages your loved one has suffered.
Contact our legal offices at Brown & Barron now by calling or filling out our contact form to get a free consultation as soon as possible.
Get in touch with a bedsore injury lawyer serving Arbutus, (410) 698-1717 for a free case evaluation.
What Causes Bedsores?
Bedsores, also known as pressure ulcers, develop due to lack of blood flow and can appear in different body parts, such as the arms, head, legs, shoulders, etc. This lack of blood flow is due to the patient being bedridden and unable to move or turn over on their own.
As such, bedsores can develop when nursing home staff does not follow the proper process for shifting patients periodically to maintain blood flow and relieve pressure on the body. Further, once bedsores start to develop, they require immediate attention. When bedsores go unaddressed, these open wounds can quickly become infected.
Health Complications From Bedsores in Nursing Homes
Pressure ulcers can gradually become worse if proper medical attention is not received. Possible health conditions bedsores can cause include:
- Sepsis: This occurs when the body releases chemical substances to fight an infection, which causes inflammation. Severe, prolonged inflammation can cause some of the body’s systems to stop working, making this condition potentially fatal.
- Cellulitis: This is a common bacteria on the skin that causes sore and swollen skin in the affected area. If not treated correctly, it can spread and become deadly.
- Gangrene: Gangrene is the death of tissue in the body from lack of blood supply. It can occur in the extremities, skin, or internal organs.
- Bone infections: Osteomyelitis is one of the bone complications that a pressure ulcer can cause. This condition causes inflammation in the bone, leading to fever, aches, chills, fatigue, and much more.
Many of the complications from bedsores can be fatal, so receiving proper, timely treatment is crucial. If you believe a nursing home staff member caused your loved one’s health to deteriorate, our attorneys will collect evidence to connect their actions to your loved one’s illness.
What an Attorney Can Do When Your Loved One Develops Bedsores
If you want to build a strong case for elderly neglect or abuse, it is best to obtain as much evidence as possible and contact an attorney. Here are some of the steps our lawyers can take to prove negligence on the part of nursing home staff:
- Obtain information about possible past claims or lawsuits against the nursing home
- Visit the nursing home to observe the conditions of the place
- Take photos of your loved one’s pressure ulcers
- Review your loved one’s medical records to understand the level and type of treatment and attention they’ve been receiving
- Request information about nursing home staff members
Once we’ve gathered the necessary evidence, we can identify who the liable parties are and construct a personal injury or wrongful death case against them. You won’t have to do anything but look after your family.
What It’s Like to Work With Our Firm
- “I had a wrongful death suit with a nursing home and I trusted the law firm Brown and Barron to handle the case for me. They did an exceptional job.” Drew Dubose
- “This was my very first experience with any litigation. The team at Brown & Barron made this experience very pleasant. They always explained everything thoroughly to make sure I had a clear understanding of the whole process.” Shardiece Wills
- “Brown & Barron made the experience as smooth and pleasant as possible in a situation like this. Their entire team, from the partners to the paralegal staff were very empathetic, responsive and professional, and were always willing to take extra time to explain things and answer our questions.” Jeanni Hall
Start Working on Your Arbutus Nursing Home Neglect Case
When negligence at an Arbutus nursing home compromises your loved one’s health, leading to bedsores and other complications, you deserve legal support you can count on. Our team of personal injury and medical malpractice attorneys can provide the guidance you need to hold the facility and its staff accountable.
Contact Brown & Barron online today to schedule a free case review with a with a bedsore injury lawyer serving Arbutus.
You Have a Time Limit to File a Lawsuit
If you don’t want your personal injury case to get dismissed, it is necessary to file a lawsuit by the appropriate deadline.
Maryland follows multiple filing deadlines depending on the type of lawsuit you are pursuing:
- Medical malpractice: Three years from the date of discovery or five years from the incident date, per Maryland Courts & Judicial Proceedings Code section 5-109
- Wrongful death: Three years, per Md. Code Ann., Cts. & Jud. Proc. § 3-904
- Nursing home abuse: Three years from the date of the incident or date of discovery, per Md. Code Ann., Cts. & Jud. Proc. § 5-101
The longer you wait to get started, the less time our team will have to investigate and build your case before we have to file.
Possible Damages in a Nursing Home Neglect Case
All personal injury and negligence cases are different, so an exact amount of compensation cannot be promised. However, victims of bedsores in nursing homes and their families could recover the following types of damages:
- Medical expenses: These include all ongoing and future expenses for medicines, ambulance trips, therapy, and more.
- Pain and suffering: These damages are calculated based on the severity of the injuries, or loss of the loved one.
- Wrongful death: If your loved one died due to complex injuries, you might be eligible for funeral and burial expenses, as well as other damages.
We know money won’t change the fact that your loved one suffered from negligent acts committed in a nursing home. However, filing a case against those responsible and receiving compensation can bring your family justice and limit any financial harm you could experience.
Hear From Our Clients
"Brown & Barron, LLC has to be one of the best law firms in the state of Maryland, possibly the entire country. The quality of their service is second to none. They go above and beyond to serve their clients and get the job done."Eric B.
"The best professional experience I have ever been a part of. I trusted them the entire way, and they exceeded all expectations."Darius L.
"Brown & Barron provided efficient, straight-up, and straightforward services in my medical malpractice case. They answered all my questions and kept me informed every step of the way."D.D.
"After a two-year process, my case is resolved. I would like to commend and highly recommend Mr. Chris Casciano for his diligence, attention to detail, and support for myself and my family."A.L.
"They definitely get the job done in will go above in beyond for the clients I appreciate all the hard work that they have done over the years."Ashley L.
Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (410) 698-1717.