When you go to a doctor for treatment, you expect to receive a certain level of care and support to help you achieve a specific health outcome. However, when the actions of your doctor or medical team recklessly or negligently put your health at risk, you could be involved in a case of medical malpractice.
Medical malpractice could have numerous repercussions on your health, finances, and emotional stability. When this happens, an Arbutus medical malpractice lawyer from Brown & Barron could help you find the best way to proceed with seeking compensation for those responsible.
Types of Medical Malpractice Cases We Handle
The laws for medical malpractice require you to provide evidence from your injury and prove that the medical care you received was below the standard or inefficient. Medical malpractice comes in many degrees and forms. For example, some of the situations in which medical negligence may occur are:
- Failure of proper diagnosis: Failing to diagnose your condition based on the symptoms and test results you display can lead to delayed treatment and worsening health.
- Injuries during surgery: This may occur when a doctor fails to provide the proper care during a procedure, causing extra injuries or pain to the patient. In some extreme cases, negligent surgeons may operate on the wrong part of the body or leave some instruments inside the patient.
- Incorrect drugs prescription or dosage: A wrong prescription drug or an incorrect dosage can interfere with a patient’s other medications, cause an allergic reaction, or even lead to an overdose.
- Birth injuries: These can happen when a mother or child suffers from injuries during labor due to poor treatment from a doctor, nurse, or other medical team member.
In these and similar cases, you could have a case for medical malpractice. Our team of attorneys can provide guidance, resources, support, and legal counsel as you seek financial recovery for the harm you and your family suffered. Note that even if your situation is not outlined here, we still want to hear about your case and explore your options.
Get in touch with a medical malpractice lawyer serving Arbutus, 410-547-0202 for a free case evaluation.
Possible Compensation in a Medical Malpractice Case
When medical malpractice occurs, there can be numerous consequences for you as a patient that affect your physical and emotional health, as well as your finances. When seeking compensation through a medical malpractice case, there are different types of compensation you may obtain from the doctor, hospital, or other liable party.
What you receive will depend on the specific damages you faced and their calculated value. Among the compensations you may obtain are:
- Medical expenses, including hospital bills, medications, and recovery therapy
- Decreased life quality
- Emotional stress for you and your family
- Lost wages if you were out of work for a period or have a reduced earning capacity going forward
If you lost a loved one due to medical negligence, other damages may be available to your family. For instance, you could seek coverage of the funeral and burial expenses, in addition to loss of companionship and other losses.
Time Limit for Filing a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit in Arbutus
If you find yourself a victim of medical malpractice, you should consult with a medical malpractice lawyer as soon as you can. Like many states, Maryland limits the amount of time you have to file a medical malpractice lawsuit, so it’s best to get started right away.
According to Maryland Courts & Judicial Proceedings Code Section 5-109, you have five years from the incident date or three years from the date of discovery to initiate legal action. Once this period has passed, you can no longer expect compensation.
How Can a Medical Malpractice Attorney Help You in Your Case?
When you present a lawsuit for medical malpractice, you should be aware that doctors and hospitals will fight your complaint. For this reason, it is crucial that you have support from a medical malpractice lawyer.
Our team knows what it takes to build a strong case against even the toughest of defendants. Here are just some of the tasks we can take care of while working toward your financial recovery:
- Giving you advice about the current state of your case
- Presenting a complaint against doctors or medical teams involved in malpractice
- Requiring compensation in the name of the patients
- Representing you in court in case of trial
- Fighting for your interests and getting justice for your case
Our Firm Has Helped Many Medical Malpractice Victims and Their Families
Hear what some of our previous clients had to say about our services in the following Google reviews:
- “I was a victim of medical malpractice and spoke to other lawyers, but this firm got my business because of their knowledge and and honesty. From the start, they responded to my call in a timely manner and always communicated with me every step of the way.” Adrienne Jubilee
- “They treated us like we’re family. They give great counsel and have your back. I recommend this office to everyone!” Tequilla Shepherd
- “They kept me updated on everything and always gave me a call. They we’re every nice and understanding and finished my case in a timely fashion. I definitely recommend them to any and everyone.” Miracle Thomas
Reach Out to Brown & Barron for a Free Consultation
Our lawyers at Brown & Barron can offer you support, guidance, and resources as you seek compensation and justice for medical malpractice. You should not have to hold negligent medical professionals liable on your own.
Reach out to our team at Brown & Barron for a free consultation regarding your Arbutus medical malpractice case today. We’ll discuss your legal options and how we can help.
Contact Brown & Barron online today to schedule a free case review with a with a medical malpractice lawyer serving Arbutus.