A newborn can suffer serious injuries if the doctor handling their birth makes negligent errors. Birth injuries often have consequences that significantly affect the health of the baby in the long term, as well as the parents’ lives. In some cases, these injuries can be fatal.
Birth injuries are often severely traumatic for a family and leave them with considerable medical bills and other damages. If a medical professional’s negligence caused your baby to be born with severe health problems, a Gaithersburg birth injury lawyer from our team at Brown & Barron can help you seek justice.
What Damages Could You Recover in a Birth Injury Claim?
The type of compensation a family can receive for a birth injury case varies depending on the severity of their child’s injuries and other damages. Not all cases are the same, which is why a Gaithersburg birth injury attorney must review all the information before demanding compensation in your case.
Nonetheless, medical malpractice victims can generally recover the following damages:
- Non-economic damages: These can include the victim’s pain and suffering, inability to perform activities, mental stress, loss of enjoyment or quality of life, and more.
- Medical expenses: These include everything related to hospital expenses, medications, ambulance transportation, specialized medical equipment, transfers to medical offices, physical and mental therapy, future expenses.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, punitive damages are included in the final compensation. These damages exist to punish the guilty person for particularly egregious negligence and thus discourage them and others from committing the same acts in the future.
- Loss of income: Lost wages or future earnings can be added to the final amount if you or your partner had to take additional time off work or quit your job to care for your child.
- Wrongful death damages: If the birth injuries were severe and resulted in your baby’s passing, other types of damages and monetary compensation can be added.
All healthcare providers have a duty of care to their patients. When they misuse medical instruments or fail to follow reasonable birthing procedures, they can cause birth injuries that affect the lives of the victims forever. At Brown & Barron, we are here to help you seek justice under these circumstances.
Get in touch with a birth injury lawyer serving Gaithersburg, 410-547-0202 for a free case evaluation.
Proving Negligence in a Birth Injury Case
It’s important to note that not all medical errors equate to malpractice. This makes collecting strong evidence to support your case all the more critical. Examples of evidence our malpractice attorneys can help you gather include:
- Medical records regarding prenatal care, labor, and after the birth
- Statements from witnesses
- Testimony from third-party medical professionals in the same field
Compiling evidence to build a strong case for medical malpractice damages is just one of several ways our team at Brown & Barron can offer support to your family.
Why Should You Hire a Medical Malpractice Lawyer?
Holding a medical professional or facility accountable for malpractice involves many potentially complex and time-consuming steps. By hiring an attorney to represent you, you can focus your attention on your family while knowing that someone is still fighting for justice in your case.
For example, our attorneys at Brown & Barron can review all of the information about your case and explain your legal options, as well as:
- Talk to experts in the medical field to get second opinions or testimonies about the case
- File documents related to your claim or lawsuit
- Calculate the value of your case
- Negotiate compensation for all your damages
- Advocate for your rights and interests in court if necessary
Navigating the legal process of a birth injury claim can be a daunting task, especially if you don’t have the time or energy because you have to take care of your loved one. This will not be a problem if you decide to work with one of our birth injury attorneys—we’ll take care of everything for you.
How Long Do You Have to File a Birth Injury Lawsuit in Maryland?
As with all personal injury cases in Maryland, you have a limited time to sue for a birth injury. Specifically, Maryland Courts & Judicial Proceedings Code section 5-109 is the law responsible for regulating the time to initiate a medical malpractice lawsuit. Though exceptions may apply, this statute generally gives you three years from the date of the incident to file a lawsuit.
If a healthcare provider was negligent and caused your baby’s birth injuries, consider contacting our firm as soon as possible. Doing so allows us to maximize the time we have to prepare your case for court.
Types of Birth Injury Cases We Handle Gaithersburg
A medical professional can cause many different types of birth injuries. A forced movement during the procedure, misuse of birthing tools, or failure to call for an emergency C-section is usually the cause. The following are some of the possible results of such negligent actions:
- Brain damage
- Internal bleeding
- Cerebral palsy
- Clavicle fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Collar bone fractures
- Muscle weakness
- Brachial plexus injury
- Shoulder dystocia
Our attorneys have handled cases involving these and other types of birth injuries. We know what it takes to prove negligence in these cases and recover damages for our clients. We’d be honored to fight for you as well.
Contact the Law Offices of Brown & Barron
We’ve seen the effects of birth injuries on families throughout Gaithersburg and other Maryland communities. That’s why we offer to take over your birth injury case—so you can focus on caring for your family while we fight hard to get justice and compensation on your behalf.
Call our team now to make an appointment, or fill out our contact form to get started.
Contact Brown & Barron online today to schedule a free case review with a with a birth injury lawyer serving Gaithersburg.