Medical providers, nursing home staff, and independent caregivers have a strict duty of care to the people they serve. They must always abide by the acceptable standard of care in the given circumstances and should always do everything possible to protect the health, safety, and wellbeing of their patients and residents. Unfortunately, this does not always happen.
If you or someone you love received poor, substandard care from a trusted medical provider or caregiver, leading to serious injury or death, you could be entitled to financial compensation. At Brown & Barron, we have dedicated our practice to protecting the rights of children, the elderly, and patients of all ages who have been harmed by negligent and wrongful professional practices. As a leading nursing home, medical malpractice, and birth injury law firm in Catonsville, MD, we have what it takes to help ensure your voice is heard.
In Maryland, most personal injury and wrongful death cases—including those involving nursing home abuse, medical malpractice, and birth injuries—are subject to specific statutes of limitations. This means that you have a limited amount of time to file your claim in court.
Maryland’s statutes of limitations for different types of injury cases include:
- Birth Injuries: If you are a parent filing a birth injury claim, you have three years from the date of injury or the date on which the injury was discovered to file your lawsuit. There is also a five-year statute of repose, meaning you cannot file a claim if more than five years have passed, regardless of when the injury was discovered. Individuals who suffered birth injuries as minors have until they turn 21 to file a lawsuit against the liable party.
- Medical Malpractice: In most cases, you have three years from the date of injury or the date on which the injury was discovered to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. Medical malpractice cases have a five-year statute of repose in Maryland, meaning you typically cannot file a claim after five years have passed, regardless of when the injury was discovered. There are some exceptions, however, including cases in which the injured party was a minor at the time.
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect: In nearly all cases, you have just three years to file a nursing home abuse or neglect lawsuit. The clock begins ticking on the date the injury becomes known, known as the “discovery date.”
- Wrongful Death: The statute of limitations on wrongful death lawsuits in Maryland is three years. This means that you have three years from the date of death to file your claim in court.
No matter the type of case you have, if the statute of limitations expires before you take legal action, you will likely lose your right to sue for damages, as the court will almost certainly dismiss your case.
We encourage you to act quickly if you believe you may have a nursing home abuse, medical malpractice, or birth injury claim. The sooner you reach out to Brown & Barron, the sooner we can begin gathering evidence and developing a powerful case on your behalf.
Why Choose the Catonsville Injury Lawyers at Brown & Barron?
Navigating the legal process can be incredibly difficult, especially when you have a complex medical malpractice, birth injury, or nursing home abuse claim. At Brown & Barron, we not only have the experience to guide you through the process but also the resources needed to effectively prove your case.
Our team focuses exclusively on injury cases involving:
- Birth injuries, such as birth asphyxia, cerebral palsy, and Erb’s palsy
- Catastrophic injuries, including life-altering medical conditions
- Medical malpractice, like failure to diagnose and medication errors
- Nursing home abuse and neglect of all kinds
- Wrongful death
We have helped many people in situations similar to yours and have the resources needed to build a powerful legal strategy on your behalf. Our attorneys understand that every case is different, which is why they utilize a personalized approach tailored to the unique details of your situation.
When you trust your case to the team at Brown & Barron, you are treated like family. We are available 24/7 and provide consistent communication throughout the legal process. You can always reach your attorney and know that you will receive the answers and information you need to make informed decisions about your case.
Contact Us Today for a Complimentary Case Review
Schedule an appointment with our Catonsville nursing home, medical malpractice, and birth injury lawyers today. We can address your questions and concerns, as well as provide detailed legal insights specific to your situation at no cost to you. In addition to free consultations, we provide our legal services on a contingency fee basis. This means that you do not pay any attorney fees or litigation-related costs until we recover a settlement or verdict for you.
Hear From Our Clients
"Brown & Barron, LLC has to be one of the best law firms in the state of Maryland, possibly the entire country. The quality of their service is second to none. They go above and beyond to serve their clients and get the job done."Eric B.
"The best professional experience I have ever been a part of. I trusted them the entire way, and they exceeded all expectations."Darius L.
"Brown & Barron provided efficient, straight-up, and straightforward services in my medical malpractice case. They answered all my questions and kept me informed every step of the way."D.D.
"After a two-year process, my case is resolved. I would like to commend and highly recommend Mr. Chris Casciano for his diligence, attention to detail, and support for myself and my family."A.L.
"They definitely get the job done in will go above in beyond for the clients I appreciate all the hard work that they have done over the years."Ashley L.