Arbutus Erb's Palsy Attorney
hen you have a baby, you expect everything to go smoothly and have a healthy child; if things get complicated during labor, you expect the doctor and medical team to work to deliver your baby safely and soundly. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, and sometimes a baby can suffer birth injuries that lead to Erb’s palsy.
Having an Erb’s palsy lawyer fight for you and your baby can help you get compensation for the damages you face, including medical bills. Our Arbutus Erb’s palsy lawyer at Brown & Barron can offer the support and resources you need to build a strong medical malpractice case. You’ll receive a free consultation when you call.
If you think your child was hurt due to your physician’s negligence, you can call us to discuss your legal options and determine the best course of action. A lawyer from Brown & Barron, LLC is here for you.
Get in touch with a erb's palsy lawyer serving Arbutus, (410) 698-1717 for a free case evaluation.
What Is Erb’s Palsy?
Erb’s palsy is a form of brachial nerve palsy that occurs in newborns. It is characterized by weakness, loss of sensation, and difficulty moving the affected arm. Most of the time, this condition is caused during childbirth, and it is also known as Erb-Duchenne paralysis.
Erb’s palsy can occur in babies and adults:
- In babies: Erb’s palsy can occur during the baby’s delivery, usually when you have a difficult and prolonged delivery or the baby is too big for a vaginal birth. Using tools like forceps and vacuum extractors incorrectly can cause Erb’s palsy.
- In adults: Erb’s palsy can also occur in adults. These cases usually involve motorcycle accidents due to brachial plexus injuries. Other causes in adults are often related to accidents during contact sports, surgical complications, industrial accidents, and gunshot or knife wounds.
Symptoms of Erb’s Palsy
The symptoms of Erb’s palsy can vary, but the most common are: loss of sensation, weakness, and partial or complete palsy on the arm, causing the baby or adult to not be able to move the shoulder, elbow, or arm. Also, consider:
- Burners and stingers: This symptom includes numbness or tingling in the arm or hand.
- The waiter’s tip: This is a hand position that points towards the back and the fingers curl.
- Paralysis: It can be from the shoulder, arm, and elbow.
Who Is Responsible for Erb’s Palsy?
Although Erb’s palsy can happen in difficult childbirth, that does not mean steps can’t be taken to reduce the possibility of it occurring. Your doctor has an obligation to analyze and determine if your delivery could be difficult, and the best way to proceed. If your doctor fails to do so and harms you or your child during delivery, they could be responsible for your expenses and losses.
Additionally, the hospital could also be responsible for your child’s Erb’s palsy because hospitals are responsible for their staff. These facilities have an obligation to train them to follow the rules and ways to proceed during difficult births.
The Medical Malpractice Statute of Limitations in Arbutus
Every state has a statute of limitations that sets a timeline for filing lawsuits and other civil actions. For example, Maryland Courts & Judicial Proceedings Code section 5-109) states that a person has five years from the day the injury happened, or three years from discovering it, to file a professional malpractice lawsuit.
Three or five years might seem like a long time, but the reality is that the legal process can take a lot of time and preparation. Therefore, it is essential to seek the help of a legal team that can proceed with your case in a timely manner and fight to get you the justice you deserve.
Types of Compensation You Can Receive
The compensation you can receive depends on the circumstances:
- Pain and suffering: The Erb’s palsy can cause physical pain to the infant and emotional pain to the parents.
- Medical expenses (past and future): This includes all medical bills related to the injury.
- Rehabilitation: The child may require various therapies to heal completely.
- Loss of earning capacity (past and future): If you had to take off work to care for your child, you could receive compensation.
Other types of financial recovery may also be available. Our attorneys will review your case to identify all of your expenses and losses and assign an accurate value to your claim or lawsuit.
Contact Brown & Barron online today to schedule a free case review with a with a erb's palsy lawyer serving Arbutus.
What It’s Like to Work With Our Firm
Our firm serves victims of medical malpractice, including birth injuries, all over Arbutus and Maryland. Hear from some of our past clients below in these Google reviews:
- “Great service, proficient, assured us as their client that even after our business was done they were still willing to reach out and check on us. Very welcoming.” Di’Mond Thompson
- “Brown & Barron LLC was wonderful! Kristen Mack was absolutely amazing to work with. I was treated like family through my entire experience. I appreciated their professionalism and attention to detail.” Chante Palmer
- “Chris and his team went above and beyond anything I could have expected. Even through Covid they kept me up to date on any and all progress with my case. They were friendly, professional, knowledgeable, compassionate and fast responding. I will always be thankful for this firm.” Jennifer Bottomley
Our Erb’s Palsy Attorney Can Help You
An attorney from Brown & Barron, LLC can help you recover the necessary evidence to proceed with your case. We can review your case and establish a course of action that puts your interests first. Additionally, we can submit the claim or lawsuit, talk with the insurance company, reach a fair agreement that benefits you and take your case to trial if needed.
Dealing with this kind of condition is not easy for the baby or the parents. Having an attorney from Brown & Barron, LLC on your side can take the burden off your shoulders. Call us to discuss how to help you get your life back on track and receive the monetary compensation you deserve.
You can also schedule a free consultation 24/7 through our contact page. Don’t wait any longer. We are here to help!
Hear From Our Clients
"Brown & Barron, LLC has to be one of the best law firms in the state of Maryland, possibly the entire country. The quality of their service is second to none. They go above and beyond to serve their clients and get the job done."Eric B.
"The best professional experience I have ever been a part of. I trusted them the entire way, and they exceeded all expectations."Darius L.
"Brown & Barron provided efficient, straight-up, and straightforward services in my medical malpractice case. They answered all my questions and kept me informed every step of the way."D.D.
"After a two-year process, my case is resolved. I would like to commend and highly recommend Mr. Chris Casciano for his diligence, attention to detail, and support for myself and my family."A.L.
"They definitely get the job done in will go above in beyond for the clients I appreciate all the hard work that they have done over the years."Ashley L.
Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (410) 698-1717.