When a senior enters a nursing home, they expect to receive the highest standard of care. They deserve to live free of fear, humiliation, and sexual abuse. If your loved one suffered sexual abuse in their nursing home, you have legal options.
You can partner with a Bowie nursing home sexual abuse attorney from Brown & Barron. We advocate for survivors of sexual abuse and their families. We offer free case reviews where you can explore your options and get peace of mind.
Begin Your Free Case Review with Our Sexual Abuse Team
We care about the betterment of our clients. Nursing home sexual abuse is intolerable. You and your family deserve a chance at pursuing justice. Our team has over 137 combined years of trial experience. We’re ready to get to work for you. Call our offices for a free case evaluation today.
Get in touch with a nursing home sexual abuse lawyer serving Bowie, (410) 698-1717 for a free case evaluation.
People frequently assume that hiring a lawyer is expensive. Yet, this isn’t the case with our firm. Our team works on a contingency-fee basis, which means:
- We’ll review your case for free and at no obligation.
- We won’t charge you anything upfront for our help.
- We don’t get paid unless you win a settlement.
We know that money is sometimes tight. That’s why we offer this arrangement. We are committed to advocating for survivors of sexual abuse—regardless of their financial standing.
We’re Ready to Pursue Compensation for Your Losses in Bowie, MD
Nursing home abuse cases vary from one to the next. Some instances of sexual abuse are one-time events. Others can go on for months or even years. Compensation should reflect your loved one’s situation.
Financial recovery in your case may account for:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses
- The cost of relocating to a new nursing home
- Mental harm
- Various out-of-pocket losses
These damages are split into two categories: economic and non-economic. Economic damages are purely financial; they cover the direct costs associated with your case. Non-economic damages account for pain and suffering, which includes the mental trauma associated with the incident.
Speaking with a nursing home sexual abuse attorney can provide you with clarity. We can listen to your story and explain what you can recover.
You Can Pursue Damages Even if the Other Party Is Convicted
Md. Crim Code Ann. § 3-604 states that sexually abusing an elder is a felony. Here’s what you need to know:
- A criminal case will not yield compensation for your losses.
- A criminal conviction can supplement your civil case.
- Your civil case seeks to hold the offender and/or the offender’s employer financially responsible for their actions.
We understand dealing with a criminal and civil case at the same time can get confusing. Yet, we’re ready to manage everything your case requires to get the compensation your family deserves. You focus on spending time with your loved one. We’ll take care of everything else.
You Have a Limited Time to Seek Compensation in Bowie, MD
Nursing home sexual abuse cases are subject to Maryland’s statute of limitations. In Maryland, the personal injury statute of limitations is typically three years. The medical malpractice status of limitations also typically means you have three years to file suit.
The sooner we begin investigating your case, the better. Gathering evidence of sexual abuse takes time. Similarly, if you wait too long, witnesses may:
- Move out of the nursing home and become difficult to reach
- Forget what they know about the incident
- Be persuaded to remain silent by an abusive employee
Additionally, the court system refuses to hear cases filed outside the applicable statute of limitations. This could make it impossible to recover damages. Our team will manage your case’s statute of limitations by filing it appropriately and on time.
Signs of Nursing Home Sexual Abuse in Bowie, MD
Your loved one may not cognitively recognize sexual abuse when it happens. They need you to spot the signs of abuse and take action. We recommend consulting the authorities (and our legal team) if you see any of the following signs:
- Torn or bloodied clothing, particularly undergarments
- Bruising around sensitive areas, like the genitals or breasts
- Unexplained bleeding from the genitals
- Extreme agitation
- Fearfulness around nursing home employees
- Signs of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Suicidal ideation
- Social withdrawal
- Admissions of abuse
Don’t worry about making a false allegation if you recognize these signs. You have the right to voice your concerns to the care facility and take action.
Contact Brown & Barron online today to schedule a free case review with a with a nursing home sexual abuse lawyer serving Bowie.
The Benefits of Hiring a Nursing Home Sexual Abuse Lawyer from Our Team
A Bowie nursing home sexual abuse attorney from Brown & Barron can:
Nursing home sexual abuse cases hinge on proving negligence. We must show that because the nursing home did not protect your loved one, they experienced sexual abuse.
This involves showing:
- Duty of care: This is a responsibility to keep someone safe from harm. All nursing homes have a duty of care toward their residents.
- Breach of duty: A nursing home breaches its duty of care when it fails to properly care for a resident.
- Causation: Your lawyer must use evidence showing that because the nursing home did not care for your loved one, they suffered harm.
- Damages: You have losses stemming from your loved one’s abuse, such as healthcare expenses and pain and suffering.
Our team knows what goes into establishing negligence. Using evidence, we will show each of these elements and advocate for what you need.
Determine Liability for Your Losses
More than one party could bear liability for your loved one’s abuse. For instance:
- We can pursue the offender and hold them accountable for their actions.
- We can pursue the nursing home for not preventing sexual abuse. For instance, it might not have conducted background checks on employees. It may have failed to remove a violent resident from the facility.
- We can pursue a third-party security company, if it failed to keep intruders from exiting the facility.
We will hold every party accountable for your loved one’s hardships.
Advocate for What You Need
Brown & Barron will do everything in its power to secure what you need. We will:
- Negotiate with the liable party
- Investigate your case and gather evidence
- Manage all necessary communications
- Calculate your injury-related losses
- Protect your loved one from retaliation from nursing home employees
Whatever your case needs to reach a fair conclusion, we will do it.
Hear From Our Clients
"Brown & Barron, LLC has to be one of the best law firms in the state of Maryland, possibly the entire country. The quality of their service is second to none. They go above and beyond to serve their clients and get the job done."Eric B.
"The best professional experience I have ever been a part of. I trusted them the entire way, and they exceeded all expectations."Darius L.
"Brown & Barron provided efficient, straight-up, and straightforward services in my medical malpractice case. They answered all my questions and kept me informed every step of the way."D.D.
"After a two-year process, my case is resolved. I would like to commend and highly recommend Mr. Chris Casciano for his diligence, attention to detail, and support for myself and my family."A.L.
"They definitely get the job done in will go above in beyond for the clients I appreciate all the hard work that they have done over the years."Ashley L.
Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (410) 698-1717.