Nursing home accidents are common due to negligent actions by nursing home staff. When an older person undergoes nursing home care, everybody hopes that they receive the best possible care. However, unfortunately, terrible events can happen that could even cause the death of our loved ones.
The vast majority of nursing home suffocations are preventable, but this is entirely up to the caring ability of the staff members. If your loved one suffocated due to the negligent actions of another person, you should sue immediately, and a nursing home choking injury attorney can help you with your case and win monetary compensation for your damages.
If your loved one had a choking injury and/or suffered nursing home abuse, contact the attorneys at Brown & Barron for legal help.
Get in touch with a choking injury lawyer serving Annapolis, (410) 698-1717 for a free case evaluation.
To prevent any accident in a nursing home, staff members must be trained for any event. The administration of the place must hire people who are certified or have previous experience in the area. In addition, they must have training in the care of the elderly and the prevention of sudden events that threaten a resident’s life, such as seizures, a heart attack, choking, etc.
In addition to all of the above, nursing home staff must:
- Watch the resident while eating, as some people eat too quickly and could choke
- Constantly monitor residents at night so they don’t choke on their saliva while sleeping
- Give them food that is easy to chew and swallow or in small portions
- If the older adult is bedridden, it is essential to help them eat in a position where there is no chance of choking
- Perform tests before giving them a meal as many have trouble swallowing
Some older adults develop swallowing disorders over time, usually due to malnutrition, dehydration, or breathing problems. However, many of these conditions are caused by the poor care they receive in a nursing home.
What Damages Can You Recover in a Choking Injury Case?
Personal injury and professional negligence cases are different, so the damages you are eligible to recover may vary. Likewise, it is impossible to promise a specific amount for the losses you suffered, so it is important that a nursing home choking injury attorney help you review all the details of your case.
Nevertheless, when a person suffers personal injury or negligent actions by a health care provider, they may be able to recover:
- Medical expenses: This includes all past, present, and future costs for ambulance rides, prescription medications, treatment, doctor’s visits, medical equipment, physical and mental therapy, nursing home fees, among others.
- Emotional damage: Such as mental anguish, stress, depression, trauma, or any other mental problem that the person has suffered due to the negligent actions of staff.
- Loss of salary: If the consequences of your loved one’s choking forced you to take care of them, causing you to miss work for a long time.
- Pain and suffering: Any harm your loved one suffered due to the nursing home’s little or no care and attention.
- Wrongful death: If your loved one’s suffocation was not prevented in time and resulted in wrongful death, you can get funeral and burial costs, loss of benefits, loss of companionship, loss of care, pain and suffering, and more.
Acting quickly in a choking injury case is crucial to obtaining justice and monetary compensation. We know how complicated it is to deal with these issues, so we offer you a free initial consultation to review all the information about your case.
Why Should you Hire a Nursing Home Choking Injury Attorney?
If you want to hold the person responsible for the harm your loved one suffered, it is vital that you hire an experienced attorney. In addition to alleviating the stress caused by these terrible events, a nursing home choking attorney can obtain monetary compensation for your financial burden, as well as:
- Establish conversations with the lawyers of the guilty party
- Talk to experts in the field
- Obtain testimonies against the nursing home or its staff
- Collect evidence that supports your case
- Negotiate an agreement with the responsible party
- Defend your rights in court if necessary
- And much more
Get started on your personal injury and professional negligence case now. We are here to help you manage all the legal processes for you so that you can focus only on your family.
Contact Brown & Barron online today to schedule a free case review with a with a choking injury lawyer serving Annapolis.
File a Lawsuit or Claim as Soon as Possible
To use evidence while it is still fresh, claims and lawsuits for personal injury, professional negligence, or wrongful death have a time limit. This time limit is called the Statute of Limitations.
If you don’t bring a claim on time, you will never be able to recover damages or get justice for your losses, even if you have enough evidence against the nursing home or its staff. Therefore, calling a nursing home choking attorney from our legal offices in Annapolis right away is your best chance to get monetary compensation.
At Brown & Barron We Are Here to Help You
We know that a professional negligence case is complex. Dealing with complicated legal processes can be challenging, so having an attorney on your side is advisable. At Brown & Barron, we have a team of award-winning attorneys who will be there with you every step of the way to get justice for you and your family.
Contact our team of attorneys today to learn more about how we can protect your rights.
Hear From Our Clients
"Brown & Barron, LLC has to be one of the best law firms in the state of Maryland, possibly the entire country. The quality of their service is second to none. They go above and beyond to serve their clients and get the job done."Eric B.
"The best professional experience I have ever been a part of. I trusted them the entire way, and they exceeded all expectations."Darius L.
"Brown & Barron provided efficient, straight-up, and straightforward services in my medical malpractice case. They answered all my questions and kept me informed every step of the way."D.D.
"After a two-year process, my case is resolved. I would like to commend and highly recommend Mr. Chris Casciano for his diligence, attention to detail, and support for myself and my family."A.L.
"They definitely get the job done in will go above in beyond for the clients I appreciate all the hard work that they have done over the years."Ashley L.
Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (410) 698-1717.