Losing a loved one is difficult, especially when their death results from negligent medical treatment or substandard care. If you lost a loved one due to a medical malpractice injury or nursing home abuse and neglect, Brown & Barron could help you seek justice.
Our Germantown wrongful death attorneys can secure the financial awards your family deserves so that you do not get burdened with the cost of someone else’s negligent behavior. In addition, we can recover medical expenses and other damages related to your loved one’s fatal injury and compensation for your loss.
Our services will cost you nothing upfront or out-of-pocket. We work on contingency, meaning we only get paid when we win your case.
Get in touch with a wrongful death lawyer serving Germantown, (410) 698-1717 for a free case evaluation.
Our firm is dedicated to helping families that have lost a loved one due to medical malpractice or nursing home abuse and neglect. We know how to take on negligent doctors, hospitals, nursing homes, and other medical facilities and hold them liable for their actions.
Our attorneys can assist with wrongful death medical malpractice cases involving:
- Medication errors
- Surgical errors
- Failure to diagnose
- Failure to treat
- Birth injuries
- Anesthesia errors
- Lack of follow-up care
- Premature patient discharge
We could seek justice for your loved one if they suffered a fatal injury in their nursing home due to:
- A fall or fracture
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Malnutrition or dehydration
- An adverse drug event (ADE)
- Isolation or use of restraints
- Choking due to lack of assistance in eating and drinking
- Physical, sexual, or psychological abuse
- An infection or bedsores
More About Medical Malpractice
According to the National Practitioner Data Bank, Maryland health care providers paid more than 200 medical malpractice claims in 2021. Medical malpractice occurs when a health care provider or facility harms a patient through negligent care. To establish medical negligence, our lawyers will prove:
- A doctor/patient relationship existed between your loved one and the provider
- The provider failed to care for your loved one according to the established standards of the medical profession
- The provider’s actions led to your loved one’s fatal injury
- Your loved one’s fatal injury resulted in financial losses and pain and suffering
Medical malpractice cases can be complicated. Our law firm can handle your claim or lawsuit so that you can concentrate on managing your loved one’s affairs and caring for your family during a difficult time. We will:
- Collect evidence, including medical records and expert medical opinions
- File your claim or lawsuit
- Communicate with insurance companies on your behalf
- Negotiate to secure fair compensation for you and your family
More About Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
If your loved one suffered a fatal injury while in the care of a nursing home, their death could be because of abuse or neglect.
Our attorneys for wrongful death can obtain and review your loved one’s medical records, interview nursing home staff, residents, and subpoena nursing home records to determine what caused your loved one’s fatal injury. If their death resulted from abusive or negligent care, we would hold the staff member or nursing home facility accountable.
If you have concerns about how your loved one’s nursing home is caring for residents, you can file a report with the Maryland Department of Health / Office of Health Care Quality by calling 1-877-402-8219 or the Montgomery County Long-Term Care Ombudsman at 240-777-3369.
Pursuable Compensation in Wrongful Death Lawsuits
According to Md. Code, Cts. & Jud. Proc. § 3–901, if your loved one died because of a wrongful act, you can pursue the compensation they could have recovered had they lived. In general, wrongful death awards may include damages paid by your loved one’s estate and compensation for surviving family members. Our team can help you seek:
- Medical bills – We can recover medical expenses related to your loved one’s fatal injury, including the cost of emergency transportation, hospitalizations, doctor visits, medical procedures, medications, palliative care, and hospice.
- Lost income – We can seek your loved one’s lost wages from the time of their injury until their death. We can also pursue the value of the financial support the deceased would have provided had they lived.
- Funeral and burial expenses – We can pursue the cost of your loved one’s services, memorial, and other end-of-life expenses.
- Non-economic damages – We can seek compensation for your loved one’s conscious pain and suffering and awards for mental and emotional distress caused by their death. Other non-economic damages may include awards for the loss of your loved one’s care, companionship, and guidance.
Cap on Non-Economic Damages
Md. Cts. & Jud. Proc. Code § 11–108 establishes a cap for non-economic damages in wrongful death cases. The cap varies depending on when your loved one’s injury occurred and how many dependents they had at their time of death. Our Germantown wrongful death lawyers can tell you more about how the cap will affect your case.
Contact Brown & Barron online today to schedule a free case review with a with a wrongful death lawyer serving Germantown.
Who Can Pursue Wrongful Death Damages in Maryland?
Maryland grants a deceased party’s spouse, children, or parents the first right of action for wrongful death. If none of these beneficiaries survive the deceased, any person related to the deceased by blood or marriage can file suit.
How Long do I Have to Pursue a Case?
According to Md. Code Ann., Cts. & Jud. Proc. § 3-904, you have three years from your loved one’s death to file a wrongful death lawsuit. This deadline is critical, even if you expect your case will resolve outside of court. The insurance company could use an expired statute of limitations to reduce or deny your settlement.
Contact a Germantown Wrongful Death Lawyer for Help with Your Claim Today
Brown & Barron has secured millions of dollars in successful case results for medical malpractice and nursing home abuse and neglect clients. You get more than 137 years of legal experience behind your claim or lawsuit when you work with us. We are here to fight for you and your family so that you can grieve.
To find out more about our Germantown wrongful death attorneys, call our office for a free consultation. A member of our team is available 24/7.
Hear From Our Clients
"Brown & Barron, LLC has to be one of the best law firms in the state of Maryland, possibly the entire country. The quality of their service is second to none. They go above and beyond to serve their clients and get the job done."Eric B.
"The best professional experience I have ever been a part of. I trusted them the entire way, and they exceeded all expectations."Darius L.
"Brown & Barron provided efficient, straight-up, and straightforward services in my medical malpractice case. They answered all my questions and kept me informed every step of the way."D.D.
"After a two-year process, my case is resolved. I would like to commend and highly recommend Mr. Chris Casciano for his diligence, attention to detail, and support for myself and my family."A.L.
"They definitely get the job done in will go above in beyond for the clients I appreciate all the hard work that they have done over the years."Ashley L.
Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (410) 698-1717.