The sudden loss of a person is an indescribable and complicated feeling to assimilate. When a loved one is involved in an accident behind the wheel or is the victim of negligent actions caused by a medical professional, you can work to hold the liable party responsible.
Your loss may warrant compensation, as well. However, there are many steps to take to achieve this, and a Bowie wrongful death attorney from our firm can help.
The wrongful death of a loved one is a shocking event that could lead family members to a state of depression. A wrongful death lawyer can handle your case while you grieve in peace.
Get in touch with a wrongful death lawyer serving Bowie, (410) 698-1717 for a free case evaluation.
Unfortunately, many accidents happen in the United States every day. And although many of them are minor accidents, the truth is that they could create complications in the victims’ health, even causing unexpected death. Some of the situations in which a person could have a wrongful death case are:
- Dog bites: Dog bites can be caused by owners not holding their pets properly or being poorly trained. Dog bites can cause rabies, tetanus, or other diseases, and if they are not treated quickly and correctly, they can lead to serious health complications.
- Defective products: Manufacturing companies have to review their products before putting them on the market. However, there are times when those products are not made correctly and have defects, which could cause severe accidents for the people who purchase them.
- Workplace accidents: Working areas should always be safe, but sometimes mistakes are made. If the company’s negligent actions caused the death of a loved one, you have the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents: Pedestrians and cyclists have little protection when walking down the street and are struck by a vehicle. Unfortunately, the negligent actions of a driver can cause severe injuries to them and their sudden and wrongful death.
- Truck accidents: In these accidents, there can be many people involved, such as the truck driver, the people in charge of securing the cargo correctly, or the transport company. In either case, negligent acts in a truck accident have extremely devastating results.
- Premises liability: Any person or business that receives people on their properties must provide safe spaces. However, if a person slips on a wet floor, falls from a high place due to the lack of railings, or poor lighting causes a wrongful death, the owner of the place could be sued.
- Medical malpractice: Medical errors may constitute malpractice. If a doctor or another healthcare professional is negligent, you can seek compensation.
- Nursing home negligence: Nursing homes are relevant businesses in which the patient’s well-being is often not taken into account. Sometimes, the staff fails to provide adequate care, and because the patients are elderly, their injuries could become complicated and lead to death.
Statute of Limitations for Wrongful Death in Maryland
According to the statute of limitations for a wrongful death case in Maryland, the survivors of a relative can usually file a suit within three years of the death.
Start Working with a Wrongful Death Attorney
At Brown & Barron, we can help you obtain justice for your loss. We know that monetary compensation will not change the fact that someone caused the death of your loved one, but it can relieve the financial stress that follows.
Contact Brown & Barron online today to schedule a free case review with a with a wrongful death lawyer serving Bowie.
What Can You Recover in a Wrongful Death Case?
All cases involving wrongful death are different, so it is impossible to promise an exact monetary amount for your damages. If you speak with one of our wrongful death attorneys at Brown & Barron, they will be able to explain your legal options and the compensation you may be eligible for your losses.
However, the following elements are generally taken into account in the final amount:
- Lost wages: If you had to miss work to take care of your loved one, you can seek lost wages.
- Medical expenses: You can seek compensation for medical expenses, such as ambulance rides, medications, hospital bills, physical and mental therapies, and medical equipment.
- Loss of inheritance: You can seek compensation for the income your loved one would have provided.
- Funeral and burial: Expenses related to burial preparations and a proper funeral for your loved one may also warrant compensation.
- And more
There may be cases where the amount of compensation is reduced depending on the percentage of the victim’s fault. To find out precisely what you can recover from your wrongful death case, an attorney at Brown & Barron can help.
Let us take care of your legal process while you focus only on your well-being and that of your family.
Hear From Our Clients
"Brown & Barron, LLC has to be one of the best law firms in the state of Maryland, possibly the entire country. The quality of their service is second to none. They go above and beyond to serve their clients and get the job done."Eric B.
"The best professional experience I have ever been a part of. I trusted them the entire way, and they exceeded all expectations."Darius L.
"Brown & Barron provided efficient, straight-up, and straightforward services in my medical malpractice case. They answered all my questions and kept me informed every step of the way."D.D.
"After a two-year process, my case is resolved. I would like to commend and highly recommend Mr. Chris Casciano for his diligence, attention to detail, and support for myself and my family."A.L.
"They definitely get the job done in will go above in beyond for the clients I appreciate all the hard work that they have done over the years."Ashley L.
Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (410) 698-1717.